beckoning

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Using Leaves in the Coop

Living in the woods we do not lack for leaves in the fall. Usually we just rake them down the side of the hill and into the trees. Out of sight, out of mind. But now with the chickens, we have been trying to rethink the use of things. I read some where that they used their leaves in the coop once they were completely dry, so I decided to give it a try.
I raked up about a 10' x 15' space and walked away with 7 garbage bags of leaves. Should be enough for now. I have plenty more to rake yet... just lacking space to store the leaves.

Back when we had the threat of the nor'easter coming in I laid our first bunch of leaves down for the chickens. With temps dropping into the 30's, with the storm, I though they would enjoy a nice thick layer. They did... once they got over freaking out about the change! I, on the other hand, love the leaves! The coop doesn't smell and I can go longer between cleanings. A plus when the snow arrives! If you live somewhere with lots of leaves, I say go ahead and give it a try. See if you and your chickens like the leaves too....plus they are free!

This Blog is connected to:
Homestead Barn Hop 89
The Backyard Farming Connection Hop 10

2 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! My chickens aren't laying anything anyway, so a little freak out wouldn't hurt anything. ;) -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been doing this for a while now since we have an unlimited supply of leaves! I like to rake them in a big pile and let the girls have at it :)

    ReplyDelete