beckoning

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Homemade Pizza = Yum Yum!


I decided to do something new for dinner tonight. Some times the same old same old just gets boring. Now I know this wasn’t the healthiest choice for us, but it was so good.  I made homemade pizza. Who doesn’t love pizza?!?

So, since I went with a not so great dinner idea, I tried to make it as healthy as possible. I started off with some spelt berries and the great, old fashioned, hand cranked Country Living Grain Mill.

About 20 minutes of pretending to pump iron, and some help from Z, We had 4 cups of flour. Isn’t it beautiful looking? I’m finding fresh ground spelt flour is more enjoyable to cook with.

Z and I then topped it with sauce, fresh peppers, garlic, and fresh basil. Sadly the store was out of fresh mozzarella logs and we didn’t feel like making any, so we were left with the little mozzarella balls. I promise they are not marshmallows!

Then after a short sit in the oven I pulled it out and served it up. Let me just say wow, I mean man oh man, I mean YES that was good!!! We were all pleasantly surprised how good it was.  Z wasn’t impressed at first, because it didn’t look like normal pizza, but after he finished eating he informed us how good it was and that I can make it again. Now you know that’s a keeper!

Now for the recipe!
Start with 1 ¼ cups of warm water. Add ½ tablespoon of  fast acting yeast. Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon of sugar and let sit till it all dissolves.
Once dissolved, add in about 4 cups of four, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 beaten egg, about one teaspoon of salt. Mix ingredients and then knead dough till smooth. After the dough is kneaded, set it aside, covered, to rise for about 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 450. Grease your pan, we used a square pan that is about 16 x 12. After your dough is done rising, press it out into your pan. Top with sauce and toppings and pop it into the oven for 15 minutes. 
The finished product!
This may not be a healthy dinner, but it sure is a yummy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment